Join our training program to become a Jr Data Engineer. No experience required, we’ve got you covered!
As part of the SGUnited Mid-Careers Pathways Program Company Training (SGUP-CT), you’ll get the skills and training you need to get a job as a Junior Data Engineer. The program is delivered full-time in a blended model (online & in-person) for 5 days a week over a 9 month period (3 months bootcamp + 6 months apprenticeship). This includes technical training combined with hands-on projects and activities designed in consultation with employer partners and employability skills development to prepare you for your job search.
After the completion of the bootcamp, Generation Singapore will match you to one of our employer partners to continue to hone your skills through a 6-month paid apprenticeship, during which you will apply what you have learned in the bootcamp in a real-life scenario, and continue you to pursue learning advanced topics to secure industry certifications from Microsoft.
This program is part of #GetReadySG.
Temasek Polytechnic and Generation will conduct relevant skills training for young professionals and mid-career jobseekers impacted by the economic consequences of COVID-19 and increase their accessibility to in-demand entry-level tech roles. The ‘Train and Place’ program is designed to increase employment in the technological sector and will help participants to take up traineeship opportunities in companies across various sectors. Learn more about the admissions process and support benefits below.
Program Length9 months
COURSE START DATE: 21 FEB 2022
APPLICATIONS ARE CLOSED
We are no longer accepting applications for this program.
What happens during the JUNIOR DATA ENGINEER training?
What does a JUNIOR DATA ENGINEER do?
Think about how many customers a company like Microsoft has. Millions? Then think about how many items they have online. Billions? And within that, how many types of individual information — names, locations, costs — all evolving all the time. As a Jr Data Engineer, you build and maintain the tech systems that enable companies to navigate these huge amounts of data, smoothly and securely. It’s all about clear thinking, problem-solving and being ready to dive into the detail with your teammates.
What you will learn
- Overview of Data Engineering Toolbox
- Introduction of Databases Design and Usage of Data Lake, Data Warehouse and Data Mart
- Introduction of Cloud Data Management Platform - Azure
- SQL and Python
- Scala, Shell Scripts, Usage of APIs
- Handling of Structured, Semi-structured and Unstructured Data
- Developing Data Pipeline - Batch Data
- Developing Data Pipeline - Real-time Data (advanced)
- Source Control
- Introduction of Data Visualization
- Effective Data Analysis by Applying Descriptive Statistics
- Analyzing Data with PowerBI
- Electives: Tableau, Data storytelling, Introduction of Predictive Modelling and
- Introduction to Testing Cycles
- Test Approach and Test Case Design
- Introduction to Agile Fundamentals
- Best Practices and Documentation
Behaviours and Mindsets: Orientation to Detail, Communication, Teamwork, Time Management, Personal Responsibility, Future Orientation, Growth Mindset, Resilience
Skills Application: Case Studies, Role Plays
Employment Essentials: Career Pathways, Interviews, Email Communication
This curriculum prepares students for the Business Intelligence and Data Analyst role. They are responsible to handle the data management activities such as collecting the data from internal and external data sources (big data), building the data structure to store the data captured, and loading the data into the data systems (such as data lake). They have a good understanding of different types of database systems such as traditional relational databases and modern big data management platforms, and the data transformation techniques. They work closely together with data scientists and data analysts and are the key members supporting the data warehouse, business intelligence and machine learning related projects. They may also conduct a simple analysis as required. By the end of the program, participants will be able to:
- Drive value for the organization and its clients by having a thorough understanding of data, its purpose, and its usage
- Design and build data platforms to collect, store, and retrieve raw data
- Build data pipelines effectively using ELT
- Apply structured problem solving techniques to determine solutions
- Learn new technical skills to improve performance and stay current in the industry
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with internal and external stakeholders
How we prepare you
In a world of job training programs, Generation takes a different approach to help you succeed. Generation instructors and mentors get to know each student and are there with resources, tools, and information if a student encounters a barrier.
The instructors and mentors at Generation aren't just teachers, they're coaches who stand by their students through successes and challenges.
The right resume can open the door to new career opportunities. Generation students learn how to create a resume that showcases their skills and experiences.
By conducting mock interviews, then providing real-time feedback and coaching, the Generation team ensures that all graduates feel confident and prepared to interview.
After graduation, mentors and instructors continue to check in with alums, providing support with the job search and advice for continued success.
Ongoing benefits of Generation
A Trusted Network
Continued contact with the Generation graduate network
Events and workshops to help you keep growing
Become a mentor to help others
Troubleshoot your job challenges